Privatization Pep Rally

Michael Eisenscher meisenscher at igc.apc.org
Sat Aug 1 00:29:58 PDT 1998

I have not heard a recent position, but when the Commission reported out the various proposals, the AFL-CIO was ready to settle for the Ball proposal, which would have a portion of the SS fund invested in the market but with all investments made by the government, not by individuals. I have seen no evidence that they have changed that position. I criticized it when they took that position and still believe it is a rank capitulation to the privateers and political right.

Michael E.