a diversion

alec ramsdell a_ramsdell at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 3 09:54:15 PDT 1998

This is going out to all you temps out there, maybe sneaking on here or elsewhere in between sabotaging the Xerox machine and learning about investing in the building of prisons.

(Thank you Wystan Hugh Auden. Why did you abandon Freud and Marx for Christ?)

Temporary Work Song

Vaguely fishing for hope or certainty, careless of success through the cavernous cube-shaped atmosphere, each exhausted sigh, all day long at work, sends a stray remark.

Even-handedly paying at each chair diligence its due, we dream how they know peace through raving day, wishing you were here, guessing more or less you were worth the loss.

Hourly, counting down the long time it takes rain to wash dead skin off the glass, the sun promises to atone, refresh our good looks, grant us love and fun, leave us left alone.

. . .

Temps unite!

-Alec