Labor Law Reform

Tom Lehman uswa12 at lorainccc.edu
Mon Aug 3 10:20:57 PDT 1998

Dear Charles, A year or so ago an educator at a southern school wrote a big book about Walter Reuther. In the book he went on and on about how Reuther's main rival for leadership of the UAW was a "communist". Well, I did a little research including making inquiries of some of my ancient and highly reliable resources. A couple of the responses I got were,"that's news to us" and "we didn't know that." So don't believe everything you read in books.

Personally, I am sympathetic to Reuther, although his critiscism of others was in most cases somthing like " the pot calling the kettle black", and this probably did more damage and turned more people off than anything else to participation in the labor movement and the old CIO.

I would encourage you to talk to some of the old timers in a gentle and non-threatening way and you will come to the conclusion that the era should be called the era of the "BLOWHARD". Sincerely, Tom