UFW struggle

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Aug 4 10:05:11 PDT 1998

alec ramsdell wrote:

>I remember hearing that at one point Pete Wilson suggested the
>possibility of granting green cards under the condition that the new
>immigrants only work in the fields. Does anyone know about this?

Speaking of which, I heard a year or two ago that Pete Wilson was urging that the U.S. shift from a geographical concept of citizenship (if you're here, you have some right to become one) to a blood concept (it's a matter of ancestry). This was being cheered by the paleoconservative right, like the Rockford Institue and their journal, the Chronicles of Culture (the intellectual wing of Buchananism). Has anyone else heard of this? Is Pete W. still making these noises?

Doug