great expectations

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Aug 4 15:28:54 PDT 1998

pms wrote:

>doug, humor my ignorance. compare and contrast class demands and fairness
>please.

What I meant was that calls for "fairness" can reduce to notions of a "fair" wage and a "fair" profit, which see virtue in balance, and which treat profits as a return to capital as analagous to wages as a return to labor. When in my very old-fashioned book, profit originates in uncompensated labor, meaning that there is no such thing as a fair profit, and that the profit system is built not on balance and fairness but on exploitation.

Doug