The Savings Rate

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Wed Aug 5 09:27:08 PDT 1998

I think we need to look at why the savings rate is "so low" before we can draw any conclusions about what it means for the future. I believe that "saving for a rainy day" has been replaced in the minds of many people with "fund your retirement vehicle of choice" -- with many people now tapped out on their contributions to 401k, etc., they *feel* like they are saving. Add to this employer match funds and a rageing bull market, and people see themselves as already saving "appropriately" -- so there's little incentive to engage in additional taxable savings. Since unrealized capital gains (and even realized ones in tax-deferred accounts) are not counted as income, many people find their "savings" is a small proportion of the value of these accounts, making the psychological effect even more powerful: they believe they are "saving" without having added additional dollars to the account.

I believe this effect on the "savings mentality" of many in the US goes a long way to explain why the "savings rate is so low" ...

It would be interesting to see some kind of research into the savings rate of those who don't have access to a defined contribution plan (last I checked, it was less than half of the full-time workforce) and whether this is a significant attribute of the gap between the savers and the non-savers. Certainly those least in the position to save have been able to secure access to easy credit terms and thus wind up with "negative savings" but even in the higher income brackets I bet you'll find many "negative savers" who nevertheless are funding (and being matched) in their DC account.

-----

As for what the implication might be in a recession, I think it could go a few ways. But I don't think it's appropriate to project forward the implications of this phenomenon without taking into account this tax-deferred incentive.

/jordan