capitalists' nerve

alec ramsdell a_ramsdell at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 5 13:57:50 PDT 1998

>>I recognize here on of the LM themes, the capitalists' loss of nerve.
>>There's more than a little truth to this in an era of multibillion
dollar
>>bailouts and generalized coupon-clipping. But the capitalists are
still
>>revolutionizing production - the industrialization of Latin America
and
>>Southeast Asia
>
>All new conditions come as tendencies, rather than in black and white,
but
>on the whole, I'm not convinced that the Asian growth wil not be
>subordinated to Western parsimony. After all isn't that what's
happening
>right now?

James,

I'm a little sketchy with interpreting "Asian growth" and "Western parsimony" here. Could you expand a bit on the parameters you use these in? Strictly finance-wise? What about prospective commercial ventures in Asia? How does commercial colonization, whether in production of consumer goods for American companies (like Nike, etc.), or the opening of another hungry McDonald's, situate with Western parsimony?

>I rather wish that there were more growth in Asia. After all the
>accumulation of capital is the accumulation of its contradictions, too.

-Alec