Oct. 2-4 Conference Information

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Aug 5 15:27:29 PDT 1998

Date: Wed, 5 Aug 1998 15:15:33 -0700 (PDT) From: Njoki Njoroge Njehu <njoki at igc.apc.org> Mime-Version: 1.0 Precedence: bulk Sender: owner-50-years at igc.apc.org Subject: Oct. 2-4 Conference Information To: 50-years at igc.org, rcaplan at igc.org X-Sender: njoki at pop.igc.org (Unverified)

Dear 50 Years Is Enough Activists:

Greetings One and All!

I'm sure all of you marked your calendars in January in planning for the October conference. At last here is some information to assist you in planning your participation in this year's conference. It is entitled: "Sado-Monetarism: The Other Capital Punishment" and the planning is coming along great! I am sending this to provide folks some preliminary information about the conference.

As in previous years the conference will be a mix of plenaries and workshops. Some of the highlights include: Opening Plenary -Friday, October 2 with some big name speakers; a party on Saturday evening October 3; and a Rally for Economic Justice & Debt Relief on Sunday, Ocotber 4 -- 3:00-5:30PM. During the week of October 5th there will be lobby visits with Bank & Fund Executive Directors, strategy meetings with our international partners, and other events taking advantage of the activities around the annual meetings.

With the global financial crises of the last year, the IMF $18 billion funding request, the MAI, and the ever-growing demand for debt relief our work as a Network is as critical, if not more critical than ever. Our Network's dedication, hard work, and unity of purpose in the struggles for economic justice for all has been a significant driving force in the issues related to the IMF funding request and the fight against the MAI. The "Sado-Monetarism: The Other Capital Punishment" conference is a great opportunity for us to work together, learn, strategize, demonstrate, and play together as we continue in the quest for economic justice.

We hope many if not ALL of you will join us in October! Recruit, recruit!! Bring your friends & colleagues. Spread the word far and wide! The registration form will be forth-coming. See you in October. In Peace & Solidarity,

Njoki Njoroge Njehu Public Outreach Coordinator

**Ps: Please let me know if your postal address has changed. Also let me know of folks that we should invite. Check the 50 Years Is Enough web page <www.50years.org> for weekly updates.

SADO-MONETARISM: THE OTHER CAPITAL PUNISHMENT THE IMF & WORLD BANK IN THE GLOBAL ECONOMIC ORDER

A 50 Years Is Enough Network Conference October 2 - 4, 1998 Washington, DC

* The International Monetary Fund (IMF) has come under increased scrutiny with the Asian financial crisis and now the Russian crisis. What caused the crises and how can similar crises be avoided in the future? * What are the impacts of the financial crises on the environment, on labor, and on women & men? * Why has the Clinton Administration requested $18 billion for the IMF? * What are people doing to change the policies of the international financial institutions and to achieve debt relief and economic justice? * What are economic justice activists doing to develop alternative economic systems? * What is the MAI and why should you care about it?

International financial institutions (IFIs), multinational corporations, and governments exclude the values and interests of ordinary people in economic decision making. Sado-Monetarism: The Other Capital Punishment will expose how this has led to the lack of political will in addressing debt relief, unsustainable and environmentally destructive development, and in the economic exploitation of poor and working peoples around the world. The Conference will also include sessions to develop grassroots organizing strategies on how to uproot this system of oppression and information about existing alternatives to the current oppressive system.

Sado-Monetarism: The Other Capital Punishment is 2 -1/2 day conference organized by the 50 Years Is Enough Network -- our third forum corresponding to the IMF and World Bank annual meetings when they are held in Washington. The Network is a coalition of 203 U.S. organizations, working in partnership with groups and grassroots movements in 65 countries all dedicated to the profound transformation of the IMF and the World Bank. Our 1995 and 1996 conferences brought together activists from around the U.S. and 25 countries to learn about IMF and World Bank policies and to strategize for global economic justice.

We will focus on creative problem-solving techniques, celebrate community resistance and action, strategize, and organize to end economic oppression.

JOIN US AT THE CONFERENCE TO EXAMINE & LEARN ABOUT:

* monetary and economic policy of the IMF * causes and impact of the Asian Financial Crisis * environmental impacts of World Bank/IMF lending policies * multilateral debt issues * the MAI (Multilateral Agreement on Investment) * popular education approaches to economic justice activism * differentiated gender impact of IMF and World Bank policies * strategies for local organizing on international economic issues * declining labor standards, and much more !!

All events are open to the public; however space is limited, so please register in advance. There is a $35 registration fee to help cover costs and ensure scholarships for those who cannot afford to pay. No one will be turned away due to lack of funds.

For more information call: 50 Years Is Enough Network (202) 463-2265 or send e-mail to wb50years at igc.org

RALLY FOR ECONOMIC JUSTICE & DEBT RELIEF On Sunday, October 4th -- 3:00 - 5:30PM

50 Years Is Enough and Jubilee 2000 USA Campaign will sponsor a rally at the White House (in Lafayette Park) to let the Clinton Administration know our demands for economic justice and for debt relief. After the Rally we will march to IMF and World Bank Headquarters (about 4 blocks away) where the Joint Development Committee of the World Bank and IMF will be meeting in preparation for their Annual Meeting with the world's Finance Ministers the following week.