the contribution of the communist party

Gary MacLennan g.maclennan at qut.edu.au
Wed Aug 5 19:43:22 PDT 1998

>So, in response to Doug, I'm not sure that it's too early to begin
>de-demonizing the term "communist." Why not start now, while these folks
>are still around? While we and folks coming up can still learn from them?
>Tony, I'm wondering how the "afterlife" of former CP people in Australia
>might be different from here in the States, where most people still feel
>it's something to be cautious about talking about...?
>
>Jamie
>
>```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````` ```````````````````````````````

>On Thu, 6 Aug 1998, Tony Evans wrote:
>
>> We (Australian coms) used to say that the ex-coms were the largest group in
>> society as there were always so many more of them than card the carrying
>> members. Now of course I'm an ex-com as well because the Party here
disbanded
>> just before the Wall came down.
>>
>> All the mass movements are suffering as a consequence of the demise of the
>> "revolutionary" left, but particulaly the unions. A generation of
activists are
>> coming of age without the experience and perspective provided by the
hard-nosed
>> (but generally pragmatic) analysis that the Party used to provide
through it's
>> internal debates.
>>
>> Tony Evans

I penned a piece on Lou's list about an old comrade, Jim Henderson, who had just passed away. The tales he told of the "Red North" of Queensland and the number of branches he built and the struggles that he took part in were truly amazing to listen to.

I tell my students that the practice of burning the sugar cane came out of a great safety struggle lead by the CPA. The fires got rid of the disease carrying vermin. This astonishes them. Just another part of our history that will never be written short of a revolution.

The popular image of the communist will still be that of the Seinfeld Episode or the Simpsons Episode the geek or the social leper. At best the liberal media patronizes the old communists. We will never see the Communists presented as they were - the most socially aware and committed people of their generation.

I also wanted to comment on what appears to be an attempt to revive anti-communism as a discourse. Here in Australia there have been an astonishing number of school kids defying authority to go to anti-Racism rallies. Resistance- the youth Wing of the DSP (Green Left Weekly) has played a brilliant role here. As a result the words "brain-washed" and "manipulated" have reappeared in the mainstream media. We have also been told again how the Marxists killed 100 million people.

Whether anti-Communism can be so easily revived is open to question, I think. But it does seem to me that to the extent we can address the problems created by capitalism we will see red-baiting reemerge in a big way.

In other words we can never rehabilitate the word "communist" - it will always represent the threat of absolute negation. The liberal pseudo-rehabilitation as in Seinfeld or The Simpsons is wholly dependent on our continuing political irrelevance.

But given the scale of the crisis we are entering - that cannot be guaranteed. Even our generation will get some things right.

regards

Gary