Bill Gates writes ...

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at tsoft.com
Wed Aug 5 21:22:11 PDT 1998

>From the Bill Gates reply to Ralph Nader:

>One project we are very excited about is providing PC and Internet
>access to libraries throughout the U.S. and Canada. The vision of our
>Library Foundation is that anyone-regardless of their social status
>or income- who can get to a public library, will have access to the
>tremendous resources of the Internet. Already, library patrons and
>librarians are showing us the tremendous things people can
>accompllish when given the right tools. Libraries have been very
>important institutions to both Melinda and myself. I'm happy we could
>contribute to their continued development in this way. (Bill Gates)
--------------

Just listen to this slime. Library foundation my ass. This is a 'civil society' scam to get public institutions locked into MS software/PC hardware, which is completely inadequate to deal with large complex databases, sophisticated search engines, and heavy network loads. No doubt after he buys up most of the photographic and film archives, some MS subsidiary shill can milk these libraries to death on service fees, CD archive updates, and so forth. Meanwhile of course the library systems will be locked into his piece of the Internet (MSNBC, et al) so the patrons, schools, and communities that use the library will have to subscribe to dear, generous, give-it-all-way Bill's world. Naturally, these networks will be closed off so only subscribers (pay through the nose weenies) can use them, and naturally the AV materials on the CD's will only work with MS system servers and so forth and so on. Scum sucking dog ass motherfucker, eat my crusties. (Sorry, kinda lost it there, BG)

Then continuing on:

>I believe that the low cost computing, which we have helped to
>create, is empowering people >everywhere and is helping to make
>important advances in health care and education.

Sure jerk-off. Low cost computing? Try fucking free OS and appls. Empowering? Try enslaving. The reference to health care of course points to the automated claim processing which doesn't work at Medicaid or Medicare or in private insurance companies or HMO's and other nightmare systems. These systems were put together to deny coverage as quickly and efficiently as possible--by telephone claim agents working at eight bucks an hour who pull up the coverage cheat sheet and read off the scripts--thousands of them in little cubicals.

When Bill refers to low cost computing, what he is really saying is that his software can be used by dummies so management doesn't need to hire high priced system administrators, real programmers for maintenance (since all the software is pre-compiled and it is illegal to change it anyway), and a real data processing department.

Management loves to hear this shit, because they are intimidated by those over-educated technocrats in MIS and can't wait to get rid of them as fast and as soon as possible. What MS software systems promise is a de-centralized, low paid, lower skilled work force that presents no threat to chicken shit management. Naturally those savings can be ploughed into buying more MS products to make everything almost work, a lot of the time, and there is of course the 'technical support' contract that charges for telling the clients they are idiots and the software isn't broken, that the bugs are 'features', that any problem with applications is some other software vendor's fault, and so on--all, on a long distance toll line at that.

Bill is pure scum.

Chuck Grimes,

who secretly suspects that Doug Henwood posts these Bill missives just to watch some fanatic like me, get all lathered up. For more Bill hate mail check out the 'comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc' news group, where anti-MS sentiment seems to gotten so out of hand, that some of the older members are complaining about a lack of technical discussion. I personally like reading their Bill hate mail because it sounds so damned convincing in its technical jargon. and read off the scripts--thousands of them in little cubicals.