Oct. 2-4 Conference Information

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Aug 6 08:46:26 PDT 1998

Patrick Bond wrote:

>The only disappointment at the last one of these meetings was Comrade
>Henwood, who after his usual breathtaking and charmingly cynical
>talk on the state-of-the-world financial system, gave us no hints of
>subversive political implications. But now he's got a last chapter
>in his book and will have no problem expanding from its
>gringo-centrism for his talk to the conference this year, right?

Only under your guidance, and Mzwanele's, too, when he gets to town.

I'm not sure what the subversive potential of the financial markets are, other than 1) the possibility of collapse, or 2) debt boycotts, like the one in SA. So far, 1) has proved rather elusive in the generalized sense, and the political fallout from local collapses has been pretty minimal so far. Given what Mexico has been through since 1982 - several financial crises and debt-driven depressions - the lack of politically subversive consequences is a pretty big story, no?

Doug