Jonesing for the Dow/Savings Rate

Carl Remick cremick at rlmnet.com
Fri Aug 7 11:04:59 PDT 1998

Re below: To me the single most interesting fact in Doug Henwood's Wall Street is this: "the price of the S&L bailout would have funded the presence of 10 full-time bank examiners in every thrift in the country for close to 200 years." (pg 88)

Carl Remick

-----Original Message----- From: Patrick Bond [mailto:pbond at wn.apc.org] Sent: Friday, August 07, 1998 3:24 PM To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com Subject: RE: Jonesing for the Dow/Savings Rate

I don't think there's a real dispute here... just that "investment" should mean the kind of "productive" (surplus-value-generating) investment that in "normal" or non-crisis processes of capital accumulation _undergirds_ financial assets. The failure to undergird financial paper ("fictitious capital") with productive assets is what bubbles are all about, right? The idea of overaccumulation (excess of investment in productive assets) helps us understand why investors switch from productive to financial-speculative circuits...