The Nation - Selected Editorial

Fri Aug 7 14:53:05 PDT 1998

I know I say this all of the time, but Michael Parenti's _Inventing Reality_ pulls together in one place many of the reallife Orwellian methods of the monopoly media that we all observe and lament constantly. One point he makes and develops is the powerlessness of reporters relative to editors and publishers. How reporters learn to lie semi-consciously while consciously pursuing a profession that professes to be society's main truthseeker.

On lies about Social Security as with everything else the solution is difficult because it is a knot , a double bind: We can't change communication among the masses without the masses changing the fundamental institutions; and the masses can't change the fundamental institutions without revolutionary communications among the masses.

Charles Brown

michael perelman wrote:

>The way to save Social Security is to put the money in the stock market,
>appoint Lt. Calley to run it and then move the operations to Mai Lai.
>Why has the media let the repubs. use such Orwellian language?

Because most reporters are upper-middle income and ape the preferences of their employers, who are members of the bourgeoisie. And because most reporters don't know what they're talking about, so they turn to consecrated "experts," who are in the pay of the monied. Everybody knows that, right?

Doug