Greed is good

Jessica nsnerep at nscad.ns.ca
Sun Aug 9 10:12:35 PDT 1998

According to Halifax' Friday Chronicle-Herald, the dollar "plummeted" Thursday because of "lower commodity prices as a result of evaporating Asian demand, and a U.S. money market emboldened by an unprecedented rush of foreign capital looking for safe haven."

Apparently, currency traders are engaged in a "cocky" exercise of selling off loonies gambling that the gov't won't rasie interest rates.

In the same article, by James McCarten of The Canadian Press, Federal Finance Minister Paul Martin is reported as claiming Canada has beat its economic problems including the defecit and the debt. This is apparenytly his reason for not interfering on behalf of the Cdn dollar.

Several Provincial politicians are quoted in the article as well. Ontario Premier Mike Harris, a notoriously right-wing, one might almost say fascist, Tory Premier, says he "favours tax cuts." It's not clear how he thinks this will help the dollar.

Nowhere in the article is it mentioned that Canada beat its debt and defecit problems by cutting social programs including education, health, social assistance and unemployment insurance - which could only be attributed 3% of the defecit in the first place. But then the article was about the dollar, not the "social dividend" as governments have been referring to the current surplus position.

Jess