microsoft date fault

Mark Jones Jones_M at netcomuk.co.uk
Sun Aug 9 08:12:26 PDT 1998

Les Schaffer wrote:

> Mark> Millennium test exposes date fault in Windows 98
>
> Mark:
>
> where did you find this? i'd like to track this bug to 'study' more how
> Microsoft deals with this stuff.

It came from today's Sunday Times (London). Even worse is this (same issue):Hacker software hijacks Windows

SOFTWARE that lets hackers remotely control

personal computers (PCs) over the Internet was

unveiled last week at a hacking convention.

The program, called Back Orifice (a pun on

Microsoft's Back Office), enables a third party to

remotely control any PC that is running Windows

95 or 98 software and is connected to a network

(including the Net).

The program can be attached to an e-mail and will

run invisibly, turning your PC into a web server

that will allow hackers to raid your hard drive.

Users downloading a "spiked" e-mail are unlikely

to notice the attachment, which installs itself on a

hard disk immediately.

Once the program is in place, the hacker can then

use separate software to get into any part of the

PC. He will obtain full access to passwords and

even the use of printers, CD-Roms or video

cameras connected to the hacked PC.

The Cult of the Dead Cow, the American group of

hackers behind Back Orifice, says its software

simply shows up the security holes in Windows

software.

Sir Dystic, the program's author, says: "Microsoft

has been so keen to make the PC easy to use, it

has left huge security holes by effectively taking

away the user's control.

"We made the software easy enough for an

eight-year-old to hack with and we think it could

do serious damage."

According to Dystic, the software also has a

commercial use as a remote-control system for

companies with hundreds of networked PCs.

Weld Pond, a hacker with the L0pht hacking

group, who has closely followed the progress of

Back Orifice, believes it will lead to an epidemic of

hacking.

"There is a huge percentage of Window 95 and 98

machines that could be affected. The software

even comes with a scanning facility that allows

you to target vulnerable PCs on the Net," he says.

According to Pond, previous hacking software was

tame compared with Back Orifice. "Until now

you've been able to play around a bit and read

some files, but now you can really do something

once you are in a machine," he says.

Hackers will also be able to write their own add-on

software for Back Orifice, which could be used to

automatically send pictures from a video camera

connected to the hacked PC, or alert the hacker

when the user is logged on.

Pond says: "Back Orifice will be the catalyst for a

renewed attack on Windows machines in the

hacking community and there's not a lot Microsoft

can do because its software has so many

vulnerabilities."

Microsoft, however, says its software is perfectly

safe and points out that similar hacker software

has been available for years. "Back Orifice won't

affect users that practise safe Net usage, which

means not running files downloaded from the Net,

or only accessing the Net through a company

network running a firewall [a system that controls

and monitors data sent to and from the Net]," says

the company.

Microsoft also says the Cult of the Dead Cow is

simply seeking publicity and that its software will

provide no risk for most Windows users: "If your

PC is set up properly, then there is no risk at all."

However, according to Pond, users find Windows

far too confusing to set up, resulting in security

gaps.

"The biggest problem is people misconfiguring file

sharing. Many users have the C drive shared as

writeable with no password, or a password that is

a dictionary word and is therefore easy to guess,"

he says.

Windows security lets users try as many

passwords as they want, so hackers can simply

keep trying until they find the right password.

According to Pond, users of Back Orifice are

already working on a Net "worm" virus that would

automatically scan Windows 95 or 98 PCs

connected to the Net and, if they are vulnerable,

download and install Back Orifice. The worm

would then tell hackers about the machine and

even automatically send a list of passwords.

Security flaws in Microsoft and Netscape e-mail

packages can also be used to trick Windows into

installing the Back Orifice server, using a

technique known as buffer overflow, which is also

undetectable. Although patches for fixing the bug

are available, many users are unaware the bug

even exists, so they have not downloaded the fix.

The hacker uses a simple graphical interface to

control the remote PC. All communication

between the two computers is encrypted while

sent over the Net and decrypted by the invisible

server software residing on the hacked PC.

Hackers can choose from dozens of commands,

including the ability to delete files, reboot the

machine and even capture all of the passwords on

the remote machine. They can also play sounds

and movie files and copy files. Applications can

also be hijacked and run by the hacker.

The software was launched last week at Def Con,

a convention for hackers held in Las Vegas.

Several American Department of Defense

representatives were among the huge audience that

turned out for for the launch of the software.