LRB on AS

Mark Jones Jones_M at netcomuk.co.uk
Tue Aug 11 00:01:22 PDT 1998

What motivated Cassirer was presumably not any interest in the psychology of perception but the 'problem of knowledge' itself and the inherent idealism of Kant's transcendental dualism. However far-reahcing his results, he never solved the question of the origin of the structure of knowing: Kant's question still remains, ie, the ned tgoe xplain the origin of immanent cognitive categories. How does the brain acquire (through evolution) the abstract categories of Euclianian space-time? Since Cassirer, who was the best neokantian, failed to answer the question despite a lifetime spent trying, one is forced to conclude that Hegel's transformation of the Kantian dialectic was a historical and theoretical necessity. The thread that runs from Kant to Hegel and then Marx is a clear one.

Mark

-- Mark Jones http://www.geocities.com/~comparty