Black unemployment in July 21 Left Business Observer

alec ramsdell a_ramsdell at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 11 12:48:49 PDT 1998

This may qualify as a gratuitous post, but this morning, the second morning at my new temp gig, I was told I would not be permitted to arrive early to work to spend an unpaid 30 mins going through my email, that I wasn't to go on the internet period, so here I am. En Garde Mssrs.!

A few observations. I know a guy, a union worker, who actually moved out of a state because of the racism in the union, he noted this in others states he had worked as well. I mean really bad talk, things like "Hitler was right" (applied to blacks). Also, I have a friend who now works for SEIU and AFL, who attended union summer last year. She noted a tendency among the to-be organized workers of being more interested in asking her out on a date than in labor organization.

Anyone involved with unions: what about homosexuality and homophobism in unions? Is this a topic that is dealt with in any public context?

-Alec