American Arrogance: a small example

Gar W. Lipow lipowg at sprintmail.com
Tue Aug 11 13:20:15 PDT 1998

The Monday, Aug 19 issue of My local rag (it hardly deserves the word "newspaper") reprinted an article from the LA Times article "Bombing leave Kenyans asking; Why here?" Like most LA Times articles, the last two paragraphs contained the story which should have led. These paragraphs in full say:

From the moment the gigantic bomb exploded in a parking lane behind the U.S. Embassy, there have been two disasters playing out in Nairobi: one behind the iron fences of the embassy building and the other in the chaotic streets of the capital

[All caps added by me] RESCUE EFFORTS, CONDUCTED SEVERAL YARDS APART, HAVE BEEN SEPARATED BY ARMED U.S. SOLDIERS. KENYAN POLICE HAVE NOT BEEN ALLOWED TO SET FOOT ON EMBASSY PROPERTY. MANY OF THE EMBASSY'S INJURED WERE FLOWN TO HOSPITALS IN SOUTH AFRICA, THE BEST ON THE CONTINENT, WHILE ORDINARY KENYANS COMPETED FOR BEEDS IN CROWDED NAIROBI HOSPITALS.