Dr Zhivago (was Julie Christie)

Tony Evans tevans at adelaide.on.net
Thu Aug 13 00:24:58 PDT 1998

Peter Kilander wrote:

> Ahh, sorta like Vanessa Redgrave?

You get the idea, but until now I thought she wasn't as "left".

To continue the idea of a 60's retro, Dr Zhivago was my first taste of the Russian Revolution "virus" that infected the left for generations. I'd never really thought all that much about Russia until Julie Christie (as Lara) and co. came along. The film romance of Lara and Zhivago was secondary, the real romance was the 1917 revolution.

The purists didn't like the romantisism by the young idealist in me did.

Rod Stieger I think played the filthy capitalist who had be tolerated during the NEP period. I spent a fair bit of time reading books about the revolution for a while after that film, talk about the impact of popular culture.

PS I loved Redgrave in "Blow Up" as well for very different reasons, probably sexual.

Tony