Krugman on Marx

Fellows, Jeffrey jmf9 at cdc.gov
Thu Aug 13 07:14:00 PDT 1998

The implication of internal logic suggests that acceptance or rejection of such systems eventually comes down to the preanalytic vision (or world view) of the person. Having a world view that markets are efficient and ethical generators and distributors of wealth will likely lead a person to accept neoclassical assumptions about behavior and market structure, even if they have to be modified somewhat, that lead to the prescribed solutions corresponding to the person's world view. This is true for Marxists as well, since marxian theory is also internally logical. Certainly, after being exposed to the shortcomings of one model a person can change their theoretical allegiance, but that would require a change in one's world view as well. The result is that the choice between two internally logical systems is essentially an epistemological one. But, that doesn't mean that there is no wrong or right system. I think there is a good choice and a bad choice, or a better choice among imperfect choices.

E.K. Hunt is a good reference for this train of thought, and in fact I give him credit for instilling it in me (it's also my own protective belt ;-) ).

Jeff

---------- From: William S. Lear To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com Subject: Re: Krugman on Marx Date: Thursday, August 13, 1998 8:58AM

On Wed, August 12, 1998 at 22:11:46 (-0700) michael perelman writes:
>Mostly the refutations consist of denying the labor theory of value by
>asserting that capital is productive. Probably the most serious
efforts
>came from the Austrian school, Bohm Bawerk and Hayek.

Just when I need a reference, I leave the book at home ...

Hahnel and Albert's *Quiet Revolution in Welfare Economics* has a short discussion of Marx's LTV, with, if I remember correctly, notes to sources of further discussion.

>For the most part, you cannot refute any economic theory unless is is
>logically inconsistent. ...

That's what Krugman and the neoclassicals would like us to believe, isn't it? You certainly can refute a theory by showing it is not consistent with empirical evidence, can you not?

Bill