Cato Finito

Jim heartfield Jim at heartfield.demon.co.uk
Thu Aug 13 08:23:38 PDT 1998

In message <000601bdc6c7$8002ca60$02f246d1 at epi59.EPI>, Max Sawicky <sawicky at epinet.org> writes
>Those who cede the ideal of freedom to
>the right certify their own political
>irrelevance

I agree with that. I wrote an article making a similar point

http://www.informinc.co.uk/LM/LM101/LM101_Freedom.html

So I think Louis is being a bit harsh when he writes

>Who cares what the libertarians say. We are more interested in what they
>do.

Which I suppose is faultless logic, but the problem is that the left give up the ground of liberty to the right.

In the forthcoming LM, we have a contribution from Nadine Strossen of the ACLU, who has been campaigning against Mayor Giuliani's anti-porn drive in NYC.

Strossen is not left wing, by any stretch of the imagination. But she speaks with more authority about civil liberties than any American leftist I know of.

> Our
>fight is not with libertarian philosophy, it is with a section of the
>ruling-class that wants to grind the workers into the dust.

Fighting talk, but why is liberty and the struggle against capitalism posed as contradictory? -- Jim heartfield