Immiseration, was Krugman on Marx

Doyle Saylor djsaylor at ix.netcom.com
Fri Aug 14 09:24:01 PDT 1998

Hello everyone, and Hello Brad,

I admit I got very impatient with you trying to stretch out there about Marx, and "Holy Writ". To me, there are interesting features in consciousness, and why people "believe" something, but I don't see what difference it makes to the current times to worry about whether or not some people who are Marxist have a belief set about what he says. All that matters in my opinion is that working people like myself are being pummelled by the economy in this rich country. When this reaches a certain stage, what most working people believe will become reality as far as the political stage is concerned. From an economic point of view there is a very limited resource in economics (such as the stock market) to describe the process of believing, and is not very useful to inject into discussions about the current state of affairs. But such things are important in other kinds of arenas, and I don't mean going over to the seminary to get their opinion about morality and belief. What I mean is that at some point where a field such as economics has it's limits, and other arenas can deepen things by bringing up something in a way that advances everyone's best interest, let it happen. To me you are only pointing at the idea the scientific historian Thomas Kuhn made in the sixties, that a paradigm can dominate everyone's thinking process. It is not a condemnation of Marxist that they like every human needs to find a stable place in their mind to go at the truths they see in the world. regards, Doyle Saylor