Cato Ad Infinito

james withrow withrow21 at webtv.net
Fri Aug 14 16:39:01 PDT 1998

Between sales taxes and income taxes, most of the workers I hear discuss the issue prefer the sales tax. At least with a sales tax, you feel like you have some choice in the matter. And, in most states, the typical expenditures low-income people make are not taxed: food, rent, (and in Pennsylvania clothing.) With income taxes, there's no choice about it at all. And, I think most people would agree that it's harder for the wealthy to get out of paying sales taxes (by crook or by hook), so there's a feeling that all are sharing the burden.

I rarely read or hear right-wingers say that sales taxes are not regressive. There is some notion, though, that over a person's lifetime of spending, sales taxes track pretty well with earnings. Certainly they're less regressive than social security taxes and obviously more regressive than income taxes.

I'm not taking a stand in favor of sales taxes over income taxes. I'm just suggesting that the difference is not substantial.

James in Philly

-------------- next part -------------- An embedded message was scrubbed... From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> Subject: RE: Cato Ad Infinito Date: Fri, 14 Aug 1998 12:45:46 -0400 Size: 2441 URL: <../attachments/19980814/d9925c7d/attachment.eml>