Immiseration, was Krugman on Marx

Phil Gasper ptrg at sirius.com
Fri Aug 14 17:12:22 PDT 1998

>In a message dated 8/15/98 12:31:28 AM, you wrote:
>
><<Marx decided that
>he had enough on his table in explaining the labor theory of value without
>taking Malthus head-on>>
>
>Thanks for the thoughtful post. It's helpful and I'll see if I can order
>Michael's book.
>Isn't it interestng how Malthus struck a vain for both Marx and Darwin.
>Regards.
>Ed EVans

The collection you are looking for is *Marx and Engels on Malthus* ed. Ronald Meek (Lawrence and Wishart, 1953). Meek contributes a useful introduction and notes. The book was republished by Ramparts Press under the title *Marx and Engels on the Population Bomb* in 1971, with a foreword by Steve Weissman. You can find it in used bookstores. If you have difficulty let me know--I happen to have a spare copy.

The final section is called "Marx and Engels on Malthus and Darwinism". For the complex relation between Malthus and Darwin see S.J. Gould's essay "Darwin's Middle Road" in *The Panda's Thumb* (Norton, 1980) and the references cited therein.

There is also a good collection called *Marx and Engels on Ecology* ed. Howard Parsons (Greenwood, 1977).

Phil Gasper ptrg at sirius.com 415-522-1895