under-35s

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Aug 16 09:32:43 PDT 1998

Dennis R Redmond wrote:

>On the other hand, the students who I teach here at the U of O -- 18-22
>year-olds, generally speaking -- really do have no idea of what the Cold
>War was about. And when I tell 'em, they get pissed off at the Right: I
>gave them a George Will column condemning Alger Hiss as a Commie pinko,
>and then the facts of the case, and hey presto -- the little
>light bulbs went on.

What do they think of Phil Knight, those Oregon kiddies? A few months ago, I got a call from a reporter at the Portland alternaweekly who sincerely wanted to know why people hate him & Nike so much. I gave him about 4 or 5 good reasons, and he seemed genuinely baffled. Afterwards, Oregonians told me that Knight & Nike a revered in the state. Is that true?

Doug