under-35s

alec ramsdell a_ramsdell at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 16 11:27:26 PDT 1998

Dennis,

Wow, we're almost the same age (I'm 26).

It's funny U or Oregan was recommended to me recently by a friend for their MFA in Creative Writing. I really don't like workshops, and as my undergrad prof Mary Kinzie said, the only use for an MFA is the paid time it gives one to write/read. But what's your take on the program and faculty?

Who and what are you teaching these days?

One of my good friends just finished his PhD at Cornell, and has just moved to Maine to begin teaching at Bowden. His dissertation, which I havn't read yet, goes from Thomas Jefferson to John Ashbery, some stuff about the invention of whiteness, I think, and a chapter on Poe and pederasty to boot. Our old prof Mary summed it up as: Buggery and the Founding Fathers. My other pal is at Stanford, he is once again starting his Gertrude Stein chapter over, damn polymorphous texts (Stanzas in Meditation).

Who are you reading these days?

-Alec