under-35s

James Baird jlbaird3 at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 16 13:04:08 PDT 1998

Well, I'm 28, and grew up in Mystic, CT, which at the time was a cold war citadel (Navy sub base and Electric Boat providing most of the jobs). I don't think the anticommunism was as hysterical as (I imagine) it was in the 50's. It was just assumed that reds were evil, but people didn't get too excited about it. Because of the nature of the place, antiwar demonstrations were a pretty regular occurance, (usually at every sub launch) but the local authorities seemed to regard them as business as usual: just let 'em have their say, make sure no one gets hurt, etc.

Jim Baird