Mumia ad

james withrow withrow21 at webtv.net
Sun Aug 16 15:11:16 PDT 1998

Michael Eisenscher : "1) If his trial was a sham, his guilt was not proven beyond a reasonable doubt." Me: There's no right to a sham-free trial. There is a right to a fair trial-- a fair trial for both the defendent and the state. Mumia's trial was fair. He had the opportunity to defend himself but chose not to. That helped make the trial a sham. There's also no right to a trial without police malfeasance. Despite the pressured witnesses and lying police officers, there is still enough proof to convict him. In other words, the police framed the right man, and framed him unnecessarily, IMO.

Michael: "3) Mumia is not required to say anything about his guilt or innocence." Me: Sure, but it might be a good idea to say so, if he really is innocent. At this point, having been found guilty by a jury, he no longer has the presumption of "not guilty."

Michael: "4) Have you read the record of his trial?" Me: No, have you? Is there anything you'd like to share with us from that record besides what's been mentioned so far?

Michael: "Have you interviewed the jurors?" Me: See my response to the preceding question..

Michael: "Or could it be that you are relying on depictions of his guilt provided conveniently by the Philly mass media based on information provided by the same characters and institutions that railroaded him in the first place?" Me: The coverage of his case, in the daily newspapers and the alternative freebies has been extensive and there are plenty of left-leaning journalists in this town. No one's willing to defend him because of the evidence against him. I can understand why you think the cops would try to railroad him, but do you have some explanation for why everyone else would comply in a conspiracy?

Michael: "5) I only wish your passion for justice was as strong as your passion for retail trade." Me: My passion is for the safety of myself and my coworkers. I'm so sorry if that seems a bit selfish. But, I spend 40 hours a week dealing with people who come in off the streets with all kinds of different agendas.

Your lack of concern for the safety of workers in the workplace justifies the suspicion of too many working people about those on the left: you're quick to defend the accused but you really don't care whether workers live or die.

Michael: "6) If you cannot bring yourself to rise to (Mumia's) defense, which of the other victims of this system are you rising to defend?" Me: None of them. I'm against capital punishment but it's really not my favorite cause. In any case, I''d rather wait for an innocent man or woman-- someone who didn't murder a trade union member while he was at work.

Michael: "Or is it a case of rejecting every case you confront until you find one that makes you comfortable enough to get past your own biases and warped sense of justice?" Me: Do you find that self-righteous name-calling is a productive means of persuasion? You might as well strap him into the chair yourself because you're not saving his life, you're just making a martyr of him.

Michael: "In Solidarity, Michael." Me: Prove that you really are concerned with keeping the streets safe and murderers locked away and then I'll believe that you're in solidarity with the millions of people like myself who deal with the public in their workplace.

James in Philly

-------------- next part -------------- An embedded message was scrubbed... From: Michael Eisenscher <meisenscher at igc.apc.org> Subject: Re: Mumia ad Date: Fri, 14 Aug 1998 19:23:59 -0700 (PDT) Size: 4743 URL: <../attachments/19980816/dded5eed/attachment.eml>