under-35s

Carrol Cox cbcox at mail.ilstu.edu
Sun Aug 16 15:52:35 PDT 1998

Someone who is 30 now is of the age to have been in my classes at ISU in the mid-80s. By that time any lingering tolerance for communism that might have been generated in the 60s was all gone, and my students were more fearful and contemptuous of communism than my age cohort had been in the late '40s. (And of course any warm or tolerant feelings for reds in my age cohort had pretty much dissipated by the mid 50s. I remember me and 3 other grad students (all male) defending cold war policy vigorously for three hours or so (in a bar) against a fellow grad student (a woman) who quite sensibly observed, "What would the Russians do with the U.S. if they got it?" When I first got involved in politics in the mid 60s (when I was in my mid 30s) it took me at least three years of growing dislike of U.S. policy before I even began to consider marxism of any kind as a reasonable alternative. I met very few people of my own age at demonstrations and rallies: they were mostly 10 or 15 years older or 10 or 15 years or more younger. One other fragment of memory. Sometime between 1948 and 1955 I remember telling my father that one would have to be a thug to belong to the CP; he wasn't so sure, and when I did become red, he thoroughly approved. I also remember him remarking that East Germany (more industrialized) would be a better test of communism than Russia. (And from horror stories coming out of "liberated" East Germany, apparently they didn't do so badly after all there.)

Carrol