Cato Ad Infinito

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Mon Aug 17 11:16:03 PDT 1998

I said:

>> Because 'rights' for corporations are no
>> different than recognizing that the rights
>> of individual owners of the corps as
>> individuals carry over to their roles as
>> owners.

PHR replied:

>This simply isn't true, as one can readily tell from examining the
historical record.

>Originally, for-profit corporations were strictly limited in the purposes
they were chartered for . . .>>

This is well-taken, though the 'personhood' angle seems in consequence to be a semantic matter. Obviously the legal prerogatives of business firms, whether incorporated or not, are fair game for criticism and, I agree, potentially fruitful politics.

Cheers,

MBS