Marx "admired" Darwin

Mon Aug 17 13:57:02 PDT 1998

The dialectical is me looking at what Gould is saying and analyzing it. I have never heard Gould use the term to describe it. However, Engels says somewhere that most good scientists then ( and now we might add) proceed dialectically but without knowing it. I will look for the statements from Engels and maybe Haldane, if you like.

The principle in question is the interpenetration of quality and quantity. Darwin describes evolution as continuous (gradual). The punctuations would make it continuous with rare discontinuities.

What say you ?

Charles Brown

Detroit