the global melodrama

Carrol Cox cbcox at mail.ilstu.edu
Mon Aug 17 14:11:33 PDT 1998

Doug Henwood wrote:

> James Devine wrote:
>
> >>... So I'm wondering if the world's central bankers really *want* this
> >deflation to run its course.<
> >
> >they did in 1930.
>
> Can we draw any conclusions from that experience relevant to today?
>
> Doug

If I remember correctly, the WSJ a number of times a year declares that the Depression was nothing but two simple errors. (Simple, in that they represented single state decisions.) (1) The Smoot-Hawley Tariff and (2) The Fed's failure to create liquidity.

Poof! One of the major episodes of the 20th century swept under a rug.

Carrol