the global melodrama

Mark Jones Jones_M at netcomuk.co.uk
Mon Aug 17 23:07:50 PDT 1998

James Devine wrote:

> maybe they want deflation because they are basically monetarists, believing
> that falling prices cause the economy to equilibrate. And maybe they're
> more independent than I just said they are. And maybe they're crazy with
> power.

Maybe they're just tired men running from capital to capital to put out fires, sensing defeat and getting reconciled to the worst. If you really have such a conspiracy theory, than as my friend Jim Hillier told me yesterday, remember that the 1930s did not end until 1945. A price deflation will have quite predictable consequences, won't it?

Mark