OPE-L (was Re: Krugman on Marx)

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Tue Aug 18 12:56:09 PDT 1998

Andrew Kliman wrote:
>To Louis Proyect: Yes, the debate over Marx's value theory has
>profound political implications. For instance, in the late
>1970s, Marx's "errors" were routinely pointed to in attempts to
>refute young militants who were challenging PCI policies and
>ideology. And yes, value theory has a lot to do with that, since
>the PCI was pursuing pro-technology, pro-productivity, class
>collaborationism.

It seems to me that all the arguments pro-and-con value theory have been made over and over and over again. The problem in the Italian Communist Party was not one of intellectual confusion. Rather it was a class-based retreat from revolutionary politics that was part of the Eurocommunist phenomenon. If hadn't been for value theory deviationism, it would have been something else. Being determines consciousness, not the other way around.

My only reaction to the gob of prose that I posted here was that it was so technical as to be useless. I don't think the author's problem is that his first language is Spanish. I have run into the same problem trying to read other Marxist economists who rely on mathematical models.

My general impression of the value theorists I've run into on the Net, including Jerry Levy and Alin Cottrell, is that they are not interested in politics. I am not saying that this is the case for you, but I would say that it seems to pervade the value theory subculture.

Louis Proyect