Global melodrama

michael perelman michael at ecst.csuchico.edu
Tue Aug 18 15:12:22 PDT 1998

Seth asked how wages could stagnate while the economy grew, yet have profits fall. The solution to the riddle is that heavy competition propelled by technical change and over capacity caused capital to be devalued. Firms, especially railroads, went bankrupt.

Barkley Rosser says that you can explain this outcome with monetarism. I agree that it is consistent with monetarism. I think that we would nearer to the truth by explaining the problem in terms of what was going on in the market for goods. Neither explanation is exclusive of the other.

Tel. 530-898-5321 E-Mail michael at ecst.csuchico.edu