Global melodrama

michael perelman michael at ecst.csuchico.edu
Tue Aug 18 18:25:27 PDT 1998

Seth asks me to try again to explain the puzzle. Suppose you have an economy made up of identical capital intensive factories [sounds like economics talk, doesn't it?]. Production goes up by 10%, so you have growth. But the factories all go bankrupt. [I am not pretending to be realistic]. The factories are one year old, but the owners are strapped for gold, so they sell their factories at half price to other people that are holding gold.

You have 10% growth, but enormous capital losses. Where did the value go? It is as if [switching analogies] you have an enormous output of 486 computers this year, just as the pentiums are ready to come on line (and companies will rush to buy the pentiums to be comepetitive with the other companies buying pentiums. The value of the 486's suddenly disappears.

I hope this helps, but economic accounting is fundamentally metaphysical.

Tel. 530-898-5321 E-Mail michael at ecst.csuchico.edu