Saudi Arabia goes anti-American

Rosser Jr, John Barkley rosserjb at jmu.edu
Wed Aug 19 10:47:52 PDT 1998

Well, I could go on at length about the internal politics of Saudi Arabia. I have no essential disagreement wiht this quote. The major politics of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia (KSA) is that between the factions of the royal family. The founder of KSA, Abdulaziz, known in the West as "Ibn Saud", had 43 sons who constitute most of the current top leadership. Their mothers came from many different tribes, Abdulaziz having unified the country by a combination of martial and marital skills. Thus the conflicts between these ruling sons represent the tribal conflicts/politics of the peninsula that also encompasses religious conflicts, as some of the tribes have traditionally been more fundamentalist than others.

The most important split is between the "Sudeiri Seven" and the rest. The Sudeiri Seven are the sons of Abdulaziz's favorite wife, Asa as Sudeiri, a first cousin of old Abdulaziz. This faction is the most powerful, the most corrupt, and the most pro-American. Their members include King Fahd, Sultan the Defense Minister (and father of KSA's US Ambassador, Bandar bin Sultan), the Minister of the Interior, the Governor of Riyadh (the capital), and others. Crown Prince Abdullah has been for long the leader of the more traditional fundamentalist, personally strict, and anti-US faction opposed to the Sudeiri Seven, getting up every morning before dawn to say his prayers and personally commanding the National Guard whose ten-story headquarters building is located on his personal palace grounds inside a high wall.

It used to be feared that he would lead a coup, but now with Fahd in bad shape and he next in line, he doesn't have to. In any case, his views are increasingly carrying sway, in response to genuine feelings among the Saudi people. He is the perfect Saudi gentleman aristocrat, inviting Madeleine Albright out to a party in desert tents with great feasting and gifts in order to tell her six months ago that KSA would not support a US attack on Iraq. Barkley Rosser On Wed, 19 Aug 1998 10:17:16 -0400 Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:

-- Rosser Jr, John Barkley rosserjb at jmu.edu