Temping

James Baird jlbaird3 at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 19 15:11:25 PDT 1998

>For info on the temp scene and the, er, "youth counterculture" it has
>spawned, see:
>
><http://www.utne.com/lens/mt/9mttempzines.html>

I just saw a movie, "Clockwatchers" this weekend, about the temp scene - not a great movie, but some funny bits. It's interesting how differnet sectors in the economy think different - I work as a "contractor" in computer networking (I start at Schwab in downtown SF next week), which means basically that I get paid an hourly rate, no benefits, etc. The funny thing is, the places I work, the "perms" are jelous of the "temps" - because we make at least twice what they do. I and my contractor friends spend a great deal of time trying to avoid full-time work at all costs - much to the dismay of our employers, who would rather have us "join the team", etc. I guess what goes around, comes around...

Jim Baird