Temping

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed Aug 19 15:59:54 PDT 1998

>For a young, high skilled person, temping might not be so bad.
>
>But then ask temp (adjunct) professor that earns less than half the
>salary of a tenured prof. and you might get a different answer.
>
>Am I off base here?
> --
>Michael Perelman

I could go out and make $600 per day as a temp, but I don't want to. I don't like interviewing as I already mentioned in my "Unmade Beds" review. I don't want the stress of working under the gun, which all contract programmers do. I also don't have the sort of consumerist appetites I had 20 years ago. The phenomenon, which affects even Marxists like myself, is called "downshifting" as opposed to "downsizing."

Louis Proyect (http://www.panix.com/~lnp3/marxism.html)