World Bank on aid losses through corruption

Michael Cohen mike at cns.bu.edu
Wed Aug 19 16:26:30 PDT 1998

Chris Burford wrote:

> At 09:02 AM 8/19/98 -0400, you wrote:
> >Today, Aug 19, the WSJournal reports the World Bank estimating 20% of Bank
> >project money in Indonesia was siphoned off by officials. For development
> >funds generally they estimate 20 to 30%. I've seen other, higher, figures
> >on this list, maybe up to 50%. Anyone care to comment?
> >
> >Randy Earnest

Maybe the figure is high for funds wasted but doesn't the IRS allow individuals tax deductions for stuff like this under the heading Business Gifts. What about US tax deductions for corporate lobbying. While it may be true that corruption may be much higher in the rest of the world, we are certainly not free from it.

--mike -- Michael Cohen mike at cns.bu.edu Associate Professor, Center for Adaptive Systems Work: 677 Beacon, Street, Rm313 Boston, Mass 02115 Home: 25 Stearns Rd, #3 Brookline, Mass 02146 Tel-Work: 617-353-9484 Tel-Home:617-353-7755