An end to history?

Dennis R Redmond dredmond at OREGON.UOREGON.EDU
Wed Aug 19 20:52:48 PDT 1998

On Wed, 19 Aug 1998, Louis Proyect wrote:

> Imperialism reminds me of a python snake that has swallowed a tiger. It is
> trying to digest the tiger, but the tiger is in its throat and still alive
> and its teeth is sharp. It is biting away at the throat of the python from
> inside the gullet.

Gregor Gysi and the German comrades have used the metaphor of "der Igel" (literally, the hedgehog) which, after being swallowed up by Deutschland Inc., has proved to be spinily indigestible. To paraphrase a famous movie, "Hedgehogs and Asian tigers and Wall Street bears, oh my!" Bring on the Beasts, I say.

-- Dennis