Hong Kong passed test

Chris Burford cburford at gn.apc.org
Wed Aug 19 23:32:24 PDT 1998

Monday was a holiday for the Stock Exchange in Hong Kong. No doubt this was part of the plan of the government authorities, who, exceptionally had intervened last week to punish hedge fund speculators who has been using an ingenious scheme about the interrelation of the exchange rate, interest rate, and certain types of stock (I do not fully understand the details of the latter).

The test was Tuesday. Did anyone hear any bad news? I heard none. Yesterday the Exchange went up 5%, this morning it is up 2%. There seems to be no talk of its credibility having been shattered and the Hong Kong dollar being the next to go after the rouble. Martin Lee has lost face relative to the government of Hong Kong.

Once again I maintain, having no national debt, and no private ownership of land, does not damage the survival chances of a capitalist economy even in these turbulent neo-liberal times.

Chris Burford