Temping

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Thu Aug 20 07:35:54 PDT 1998

>Interesting. Lefitsh writers & agitators make a lot about how awful temp
>work is, but the BLS surveys show about half of contingent workers don't
>want noncontingent work, and then there's what James Baird says here. Is
>the problem with temp work its tempness or the lack of benefits?

In a past life I temped in NYC, doing typesetting and "word processing," before PC's came on the scene.

You could work off the books, gouge employers since there was a shortage of skilled operatives, and feel rich. I had an apartment in WAshington Heights with a view of the GWB for less than $200 a month.

But I was under 30 then and had a technical skill. I think a lot of the ease of this is an age thing. You have fewer financial pressures and requirements while young(er). Also, at that state in a person's life, some families are a more secure safety net, whereas later on something could befall them and eliminate any such financial cushion.

I do have a geezer my age who 'temped' until recently as a systems analyst and made six figures without sweating, but there can't be too many folks like this.

MBS