Fictitious forms of capital? (fwd)

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Aug 20 09:10:50 PDT 1998

hoov wrote:

>> And what is fictitious capital?
>> best, rakesh
>
>apologies if above was answered, I don't recall seeing any responses...
>
>Marx's notion is derived from loaned-money capital...see chapter
>XXV of Capital Vol. 3...Michael Hoover

I can't believe Rakesh doesn't know the answer to this, so I'm wondering what he's really after. But fictitious capital is any capitalized future income stream (as opposed to "real" capital, which earns a profit through the sale of commodities). A bond is a series of interest payments treated as a sum of capital; a stock is a series of dividend payments (or their underlying corporate profits) so capitalized.

Doug