U.S. Bombing Afghanistan, Sudan

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Aug 20 12:21:37 PDT 1998

Max Sawicky wrote:

>We're at war with Afghanistan and Sudan.
>The U.S. is bombing what it says are
>terrorist bases, as we speak.

There's nothing like one of these moments to experience the U.S. media at is most appalling. Andrea Mitchell (Mrs Alan Greenspan) shares a little secret with us - her intelligence sources say that large quantities of poison gas precursors were in the bombed camps. Mitchell did at least say that the "terrorists" had Stinger missiles left over from when they were our friends fighting the Soviets. Joe Johns, after conceding that the Pentagon hasn't really disclosed all that much, says that in a private off-camera briefing reporters were told that "more terrorists were in the camps than might otherwise be the case." Deviation from an average, how statistically sophisticated for TV. At least CNBC's bond reporter Kathleen Hays says that traders are all asking the "Wag the Dog question."

Doug