World Bank on .. corruption

Chris Burford cburford at gn.apc.org
Fri Aug 21 00:38:58 PDT 1998

At 08:48 AM 8/20/98 +0100, you wrote:
>If what I say during my time in Russia is any guide, it's POLICY to let the
>elites rip off the aid budgets. How else can you bind a resource-rich country
>like Russia into the system?
>
>Mark

Sure,

Of course the way they think, they need to win over the trust and friendship of those members of the society who have power and influence.

Some of that may be corrupt, but what is really hypocritical about these denunciations by the IMF, are the double standards used to chastise local business that does not dance to its tune.

And of course the idea of talking to a cooperative of poor workers, is totally out of the frame.

Chris