Justice for Jazzers

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Aug 21 09:06:05 PDT 1998

[this bounced]

Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 08:30:57 -0700 (PDT) Message-Id: <2.2.16.19980821083326.4d5fbb28 at pop.igc.org> X-Sender: meisenscher at pop.igc.org X-Mailer: Windows Eudora Pro Version 2.2 (16) Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" To: (Recipient list suppressed) From: Tim Dubnau <TDubnau at Local802AFM.org> (by way of Michael Eisenscher <meisenscher at igc.apc.org>) Subject: Justice for Jazz Artists

August 21, 1998

Dear Labor Supporter, and Music Lover

I am writing to you on behalf of the 70 part time Jazz faculty at the New School, who have been trying for eight long months to negotiate a first contract with management. During our struggle to win the right to vote on union representation in December, 1997, many of you played a pivotal role in convincing the New School to live up to their progressive ideals and allow musicians to decide for themselves whether or not they wanted a union. As a result of hundreds of letters, emails, faxes, and phone calls, the New School allowed a vote, which overwhelmingly showed that the jazz faculty wanted a union.

Since that time, Local 802 has been negotiating with management for a first contract. From the beginning, our elected bargaining committee has made it clear to management that four items must be included in any contract: a fair wage, pension contributions, job security, and health benefits. Although our current positions on wages and health benefits are not that far apart, to date the New School has refused even to give us a counterproposal on pension contributions, and our demands for job security have fallen on deaf ears.

We believe that the New School -- once again -- needs a moral push. We are asking our allies in the labor, religious, neighborhood and political communities to lend your moral support to our struggle for a just contract with the New School.

Please take the time email New School President Fanton to urge him to do what is right, and settle with the Jazz faculty who have made the Jazz program the best in the world. Dr. Fanton's email address is: fanton at newschool.edu

We are asking for what is reasonable, and what the other unionized workers at the university already enjoy: a decent pension, and job security. Please forward all correspondence with Dr. Fanton to Local 802's Organizing Department. Email copies of your emails to us at: Tdubnau at local802afm.org. If you have any questions, please call Local 802 Organizer Tim Dubnau at (212) 245-4802, Ext. 185.

Thank you very much for your help.

In Solidarity,

William Moriarity

PRESIDENT, Local 802 AFM

PS: Please feel free to forward this message to your friends.