The Political Economy of the Beeper

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Fri Aug 21 19:54:18 PDT 1998

At 09:14 PM 8/21/98 -0400, Frances Bolton (PHI) wrote:

> Beepers as surveillance devices, rather than the drug
> trade itself was my starting point.

I'm sure that there's a cross-over. I've seen software systems, mostly hawked to intelligence agencies but I bet plenty of big-city drug enforcement groups have them, that will perform cross-correlation on phone calls, cell phones, beepers, whatever kinds of communication you can find. Using a pay phone doesn't help you; catching drug dealers using common technology is a whole lot easier than catching spys.

/jordan