la revolution

james withrow withrow21 at webtv.net
Fri Aug 21 20:46:31 PDT 1998

I gotta quibble with a couple of Max's ideas here.

If Paula was talking about lifting the cap off the social security tax and reducing the rate accordingly, Max's pooh-poohing the idea is a little quick. So what if it "only" reduces my social security tax by 1%. I'll take it. 1% here, 1% there, pretty soon you've got actual tax fairness. We need a flat tax-- on social security. Of all the loopholes benefitting the rich, I'd guess that the SS tax cap is the best incremental reform we could make on a populist revulsion/ease of understanding basis.

I'd be careful about prolonging the reassessment periods for property taxes. When I got to Philly in 1990, there was a lengthy newspaper article which bemoaned the fact that since assessments hadn't been done in over a decade, that the parts of the city worst hit by 70s and 80s had assessments above current market value while gentrifying areas were being taxed at a fraction of current market value. I guess the second half is the point, but unless assessments are neglected with the skill of a surgeon... you get my drift, I guess.

James in Philly

-------------- next part -------------- An embedded message was scrubbed... From: sawicky at epinet.org (Max Sawicky) Subject: RE: la revolution Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 11:46:26 -0400 Size: 3648 URL: <../attachments/19980821/9f5f4ec1/attachment.eml>