Cramer goes wobbly

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Sat Aug 22 13:39:05 PDT 1998

> Muchos gracias for the inference of youthfulness. I am 48 and will
> match your world-weariness disillusionment for disillusionment. But I

You're welcome but I'm not talking disillusionment. I'm not disillusioned because the world did not erupt in financial panic and economic collapse. I'm actually grateful.

> haven't given up yet. As I sit here in my office, I gain inspiration
> from the "SMC -- Nov. 6" button stuck up on my wall. The younger people
> in my office (just about everybody else) don't have a clue what that
> button means, but to me it serves a great reminder of what mass
> movements CAN accomplish.

Fine! Me too. So?

> In that connection, re your other comment: "Expectations of imminent
> collapse which are
> not met are often followed by political demoralization and inactivity,
> or by what
> LP has called 'mutation' of left into right."
>
> As a trigger of demoralization and inactivity, the greater danger is
> posed by the expectation that things will basically NEVER change and the
> best we can hope to do is amuse ourselves -- either by noodling around
> with marginal changes in the tax code or engaging in flights of fancy in
> "high theory."

That things can "never" change is not a very fair reflection of my views, much less what I spend all of my time doing. My work does have its amusements, but it is not one long belly-laugh from 9 to 5.

Nor am I an habitual proposer of "marginal changes in the tax code." And I haven't had a flight of fancy in years. Once again we have a relativism issue. In what I take to be actual politics, I'm cutting edge. On LBO, I'm cold potatoes.

> Oh, and since you're not playing tennis -- or golf, it seems -- today,
> you might take a glance at the Bloomberg. The Dow's down 220 as I
> write.

As I said before, wake me when it goes up again.

Cheers,

MBS